Touch rugby started Arizona in 2012 as the first year of an organized youth competition. Informal touch rugby had been going on for a few years prior.
As of Fall 2017 RAZ has adopted FIT touch rugby rules and format.
A quick summary of International Touch Rules and video can be found in the documents below as well as online: https://www.internationaltouch.org/what-is-touch/basic-rules-of-touch/
1. Fields or pitches should be 70M long by 50M wide with marked scorelines, sidelines and a half-way line.
2. Teams consist of up to 14 players with a maximum of 6 players on the field at any time.
3. Players may interchange from the side of the field as often as they wish.
4. Team Captains toss and the winner starts the game with a tap at the centre of the half-way line.
5. Attacking team has 6 attempts or touches before possession changes unless other rules are infringed.
6. If the ball is dropped or knocked-on a change of possession occurs and the game starts with a rollball.
7. Attacking players may run with the ball or pass the ball sideways or backwards until they are touched.
8. If a player passes the ball forward a penalty occurs for a forward pass.
9. If a player passes the ball after being touched a penalty occurs for a late pass.
10. A tap on the mark is taken by non-offending team for penalties. Defending teams must retire 10M.
11. A touch is any contact between the player with the ball and a defender. It must be minimum force. It can be initiated by the ball carrier.
12. After a touch the player performs a rollball, stepping over or gently rolling the ball between the feet.
13. Players cannot perform a rollball until a touch has been made or a penalty results.
14. Players must perform the rollball at the mark or a penalty results.
15. The attacking player who gets the ball after the rollball is the half, who can either run or pass.
16. If the half gets touched a change of possession occurs and the game restarts with a rollball at the mark.
17. At the rollball all defenders must retire or move backwards a minimum of 5M.
18. Penalties are awarded against defenders who do not retire 5M for rollballs and 10M for taps.
19. A touchdown is scored when an attacking player other than the half places the ball on or over the scoreline and is worth 1 point.
20. The team that scores the most touchdowns in the game is declared the winning team.